Bibliographic Reference Managers :
- Bibliographic Database Managers
- Papyrus (v.7.0 - free bibliography system and knowledge management)
- Personal Bibliographic Managers (comparison between Endnote, Reference Manager, Procite)
- Personal Bibliography Software
- Thomson ResearchSoft : Compare Products (between Endnote, Reference Manager, Procite, and Writenote)
Fieldwork and labwork :
- Airphoto (AirPhoto provides a useful tool for archaeologists which will enable them to deal with a reasonable number of the many aerial images which have accumulated over the years using modest PC's and peripherals.) - download the program
- ArchaeoPackPro (Digital Data Management implemented for Archaeological fieldwork, data safekeeping and interactive research)
- ArchEd : The Harris Matrix Program
- Arlequin (Arlequin is a population genetics software for the analysis of conventional and molecular polymorphism either within or between populations. It can handle different data types (DNA, RFLP, microsatellite, general multi-locus data, allele frequency data) under either haplotypic or genotypic form)
- Bonn Archaeological Statistics Package (BASP) (several programs in one package : AirPhoto, WinBASP, Displa3d, Posthole in Europe and the USA : WinBASP = Correspondence Analysis, Seriation, Clustering, Mapping, Harris Matrix, Simulation, Social Status Analysis)
- Graph Paper Printer (a software application designed to print numerous kinds of graph papers, music manuscripts and pattern papers, with user-defined sizes and colors)
- Harris matrix
- NN3D.exe for nearest neighbours spatial analysis of objects from excavations (Freeware program developped in 1998. Author : Richard Wright, mail - firstname.lastname@example.org. Contents : For each specified object, the program allows you to ask for either (1) a particular number of neighbours or (2) the radius of a sphere centered on the specified object and within which the neighbours must occur).
- POLPAL 2004 : Computer system for palynological analysis
- Posthole (a program for finding and displaying rectangular structures in scanned excavation plans)
- SIFCAD - Système d'Inventaire de Fouille et de Cartographie Assistée Dynamique. To the frames site click here
- SIMPAD - Système d'Inventaire Muséologique et de Plan Assisté Dynamique. To the frames site click here
- SiteWorks (swedish excavation program)
- Stratify 1.3 : The aim of the program Stratify is to lay out the Harris diagram automatically, taking all the available information on chronology and groupings into account. Stratify stores the data of the contexts and their stratigraphic relationships in a data base. Interactive and automatic checks are also supported in order to detect inconsistent, missing, or contradictory relationships
- StratiGraf (an advanced documentation and interpretation system for archaeological sites. Automatic matrix generation, data consistency, automatic dating of stratigraphic units. You can download a demo version at http://www.proleg.com/)
- Tilia and Tilia-Graph (an MS-DOS program designed to record and display - in conjunction with Tilia-Graph - stratigraphic data)
- Troels-Smith Plotting Program (TSPP) (for bore holes plotting)
- WinRock - petrology/geochemistry program for Windows.
- XPLOTTER - general purpose scientific graphing program for Windows.
- XRDCALC - powder diffraction utility for identifying phases, calculating and plotting powder diffraction data for Windows.
Geographical Information Systems (GIS) :
- ADDE - MAPINFO (GIS software)
- Geographical Information System WWW resource list - major resource !
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- GRASS - Geographic Resources Analysis Support System
- Graphite (an extensible rendering engine for complex writing systems)
- Linguistics archive Syllabi, handouts, fonts, lexica, software, papers, digests, more!
- Linguistics archive (A smaller one than the one above)
- Linguistics Software
Radiocarbon calibration :
- BCal - Online Bayesian radiocarbon calibration tool (Developed at the School of History and Archaeology, Cardiff University, this allows users to obtain calibrated dates on data sets entered via a Web browser.)
- CAL25 : the Groningen calibration program (updated with 1998 calibration data set.)
- Calib 5.0 : radiocarbon calibration program (University of Washington, Quaternary Isotope Laboratory and Queen's University of Belfast). You can download the program to use it in your lab, or you can use the online radiocarbon calibration program. The downloadable version 5.0 (March 2005) is also available for Mac OSX and Linux Red Hat.
- CalPal - Cologne radiocarbon CALibration and PALaeoclimate package (Designed for research on glacial C-14 age conversion)
- CalPal Online : fast and easy to use, single date calibration, dates between 50.000 and 1 BP will be calibrated using the calibration curve CalPal2004_jan
- OxCal v.3.10 calibration program (The OxCal program is intended to provide radiocarbon calibration and analysis of archaeological and environmental stratigraphy. The program runs under Microsoft Windows on IBM PC compatibles.)
Web publishing :
Suggest a new site
The First Computer Bug
© Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren, VA., 1988.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Moth found trapped between points at Relay # 70, Panel F, of the Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator while it was being tested at Harvard University, 9 September 1945. The operators affixed the moth to the computer log, with the entry: "First actual case of bug being found". They put out the word that they had "debugged" the machine, thus introducing the term "debugging a computer program". In 1988, the log, with the moth still taped by the entry, was in the Naval Surface Warfare Center Computer Museum at Dahlgren, Virginia.